Red wasp or paper wasp usually creates their nests under the attic of houses or in other structures and also in the plants and trees. Only female red wasps sting humans while the males do not have stingers. The female wasp can repeatedly sting a person if their territory is threatened.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYoQGHORPPs” width=”220″]
A single sting of the red wasp can cause severe pain. The sting can cause allergic reactions that can range from pain to swelling and even serious symptoms such as excessive swelling, hives, nausea, vomiting and dizziness. These reactions can only happen to people who are hypersensitive to sting of insects.
Loud noises, certain perfumes, and dark and bright colors can attract red wasps. These insects leave the stinger on the skin of the individual they sting.
- Severe pain can be felt at the area of the sting.
- Rapid inflammation and swelling where the swelling can oftentimes increase in size from inches to diameter.
- Itchiness of the area
- Some people develop allergic reactions such as rashes and hives all over the body.
- Wheezing and gasping for breath
Treatment for a red wasp sting
- First thing to do is remove the stinger from the skin using a dull knife. Just make sure not to break or apply pressure on the sac of the venom that is found at the end of the stinger.
- After removing the stinger, wash the affected area thoroughly using soap and water.
- Apply an ice pack around the wound and avoid applying directly on the skin in order to prevent frostbite. Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin cloth and apply on the affected area at least 10-15 minutes. Cold helps lessen the pain and inflammation of the affected area.
- Apply the prescribed topical antihistamine at the sting area in order to minimize the inflammation, swelling and redness.
- Using moist mud is also helpful for wasp stings. Apply the paste on the affected area and keep it on for at least 20 minutes. Moist mud helps lessen the pain caused by red wasp stings.
- Soak cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and apply on the affected area to lessen the pain and the acid found in vinegar neutralizes the venom.
- Mix meat tenderizer with a few drops of water and apply it on the sting area. Make sure that the meat tenderizer is unseasoned.
- Wash the affected area using Epsom salts to lessen the pain.
- Apply fresh slice of lemon on the sting area until pain is minimized. The acid found in the lemon helps in neutralizing the venom found in the sting.
- Avoid blowing the nest of wasps in order to avoid stings.
- Stay away from flowers, bushes, trees and piles of woods.
- Wear long-sleeves clothes, long pants, shoes, socks and gloves in order to guard the body from wasp stings.
If the stung person has shortness of breath, wheezing and develops a severe headache, it is time to seek medical help immediately.